The Cypher System is a genre-agnostic role-playing game ruleset developed and published by Monte Cook Games. It provides the underpinning for games such as Numenera and Stars Are Fire, as well as being used as a standalone game for homebrew settings.
The following summary of concepts is intended purely as an overview. For a detailed explanation of the mechanics, consult the Cypher System Rulebook, or an all-in-one core book such as Numenera: Discovery.
- Character Sentence: Characters are defined as an Adjective Noun Who Verbs.
- Stat pools power both abilities and represent a player character’s health: Might, Speed, and Intellect.
- Effort: Player characters can spent points from their pools to ease a task’s difficulty.
- Edge: Player characters can reduce the cost of special abilities/Effort by acquiring Edge.
- Intrusions: GMs may offer XP to players in exchange for a GM Intrusion which typically adds a complication for the players, or players may spend XP to alter a story element to their favor in the given scene.
- Cyphers: One-use powerful items that can be acquired during gameplay.
Cypher System Settings & Games
Examples of games and settings that utilize the Cypher System.
Published by Monte Cook Games
- Numenera: Post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post apocalyptic science fantasy.
- The Strange: Multi-genre dimension hopping and creation.
- Stars Are Fire: Science Fiction
- Stay Alive: Horror
- We Are All Mad Here: Fairy Tales
- Godforsaken: Fantasy
- Predation: Science Fiction with F@*king DINOSAURS
- Gods of the Fall: Heroic fantasy.
- Ptolus: Fantasy setting compatible with both Cypher System and D&D 5E
- Unmasked: Teenage superheroes.
- Claim the Sky: Upcoming superhero setting.
- First Responders: Upcoming modern setting where players take on roles as first responders.
- No Thank You Evil!: A family RPG designed for young players.
From Other Publishers
- Shotguns & Sorcery: A fantasy noir setting based on the novels of Matt Forbeck, published by Full Moon Press.
- Vurt: Cyberpunk setting based off of the Jeff Noon novel of the same name. Published by Ravendesk games.
- Diamond Throne: Upcoming adaptation of the Unearthed Arcana setting for Cypher System. Published by Here Be Dragons Games.
- Hope’s Horizon: A science-fiction setting published by Angel’s Citadel.